ThermaCare® patented heat cell technology combines iron, oxygen, water, and salt in single-use HeatWraps. The heat cells produce real heat to stimulate healing right where you need it. ThermaCare® HeatWraps work by allowing real heat to penetrate damaged tissue, which increases blood flow and accelerates the body’s natural healing process.
General HeatWrap Information
How do ThermaCare® HeatWraps work?
What are the heat cells?
The heat cells contain a mixture of ingredients that react with air to provide low-level heat. ThermaCare® patented heat cell technology combines iron, oxygen, water, and salt in single-use HeatWraps. The chemical reaction is called iron oxidation, which occurs naturally in the environment.
What materials are ThermaCare® HeatWraps made of, and what holds the HeatWrap together?
ThermaCare® HeatWraps are made from cloth-like materials called “nonwovens” and are the same materials used in disposable products like diapers and feminine hygiene pads.
What is the temperature of a ThermaCare® HeatWrap after it has heated up?
Each heat disc is designed to heat to about 104°F (40°C) for 8 hours. That’s just above your body's normal core temperature of 98.6°F.
What are the functions of the ingredients in the heat discs?
- Iron reacts with oxygen in the air to provide heat. That process is called iron oxidation.
- Sodium chloride (salt) makes the rate of reaction between iron and oxygen faster.
- Sodium thiosulfate controls hydrogen generation.
- Water also is necessary for the iron oxidation reaction.
- Charcoal allows the iron powder to have a surface to react to inside the heat discs. The surface of this charcoal has been treated (activated) to have special properties.
- Sodium polyacrylate controls the level of water present in the heat cells.
What's the difference between using ThermaCare® and taking oral pain relievers?
ThermaCare® relieves pain by going to work right at the site of pain. It relaxes the muscle and increases blood flow in the area. On the other hand, oral pain medications have to be ingested and provide relief by working through the bloodstream and stopping the production of prostaglandins.
Will the printing on ThermaCare® HeatWraps come off on my skin?
No, the printing will not come off on your skin. Note that the printing on ThermaCare® HeatWraps is on the clothing side of the wrap, so it shouldn’t come into contact with your skin when used as directed.
Will the printing on ThermaCare® HeatWraps come off on my clothes?
No, the printing will not come off on your clothes.